Discover easy home hacks for how to make your house smell good
We’ve all walked into our home sometimes and caught a whiff that smells unpleasant. Maybe the laundry basket is not smelling nice, or there’s a nasty smell from the fridge.
It’s nothing to be embarrassed about as it can happen to anyone. The best part is that is easy to make your home smell good.
Keep reading as we share some easy odor removal ideas. From the best air freshener to amazing home scents.
Make your home smell good easily with these great homemaking tips.
One of the first steps for how to make house smell good is finding out what is making those bad smells in the first place, then to remove nasty odors.
Here are some common home areas that you may want to check.
How To Make Laundry Smell Good
Dirty laundry is one of the main culprits for bad odors in the home. There are some easy smell hacks though for how to make clothes smell good.
- Sprinkle baking soda in your hamper
- Leave a small open container of baking soda in the room ( where it won’t get knocked over). Baking soda is a natural room deodorizer and can be used in so many areas of your home.
- Place a dryer sheet at the bottom of your laundry hamper.
How To Make Your Shoes Smell Good
Have a shoe cupboard that is stinking up the whole house? Here are some simple ways to stop shoes from smelling.
- Create your own good smell bombs. Simply get some coffee filters, add some baking soda and your favorite essential oil ( I love fresh smelling oils like tea treeand eucalytpus for this. ). Pop them in shoes or into the shoe basket.
- Another great tip is to put a bar of soap into smelling shoes. You don’t need a fancy brand, just any soap you may already have at home.
Maybe your closet smells musty? It’s a sure way to have that smell follow you around all day if you hang your clothes in there.
- Leave an open container of baking soda in the corner of your closet to soak up bad odors.
- Buy some gorgeous closet fresheners and hang them in your closet. This is also great for how to make clothes smell good.
Bathroom Air Freshener
The bathroom can easily be one one of the rooms in your home with the most odors.
- Firstly, make sure your bathroom is deep cleaned often. Getting into all those not often cleaned areas will help stop mold and other odor creating elements. Find our deep cleaning hacks here to make this job easier and faster.
- Use white vinegar with a half a cup of baking soda to clean your bathroom. You can also leave a small jar of this in the bathroom to soak up odors all the time, it makes the best room deodorizer.
- Use beautiful scented soy candles. Light these when you have a bath or anytime you feel you want to make your bathroom smell good.
How To Stop Fridge Odor
Opening up the fridge to a bad smell is never good. There are some easy ways to keep your fridge smelling good though.
- Clean out your fridge. If you come across a bad smell, it may be time for a good clean out. Empty your fridge, check all the food for freshness and give the fridge a clean with white vinegar and water.
- Leave an open container of baking soda in the fridge overnight to soak up bad odors. Throw it away in the morning.
- You can use coffee to soak up odors too. Leave a small open container of coffee in the back or your fridge and change regularly.
- Keep food in airtight containers. This will help keep food fresher for longer too. You can get special containers for those foods that tend to leave smells in your fridge like this onion keeper
How To Stop Your Dishcloth From Smelling Bad
Sometimes even after you have washed a dishcloth it can leave a bad odor. A great way to get rid of this is with essential oils. Just add a few drops of lemon essential oil to normal washing detergent and soak your cloth in the solution overnight. Wash it in the morning and you are left with a fresh smelling dishcloth.
How To Make Room Smell Good
From these smell hacks you make have noticed an easy way to get a fresh smelling house naturally.
This natural ingredient makes the best odor eliminator for home. It’s also cheap which is fantastic for a frugal home.
Use it as an air deodorizer, and also for helping keep your home clean. We have a whole lot of Baking soda cleaning hacks because we love it so much for around the home.
How To Keep Your House Smelling Good All The Time
To make house smell good is more than just removing odors! The best way to make your home smell nice is a simple process.
Keep Your Home Clean
It may seem obvious but cleaning your home regularly is the very best way to make your home smell amazing. Create a cleaning schedule to keep you on track!
It’s important to do a weekly clean but to also make sure you do a big deep clean at least once a year too. It can be easy to always put off, or even forget those hard to reach and see areas of your home. We have a Free Deep Cleaning Checklist printable to help you keep track.
Best Home Scents
A great way to keep your home smelling amazing all the time is essential oils. You can use these in homemade cleaners or in an essential oil diffuser.
Here are some of the best smelling essential oils for home. Be sure to research how best to use each oil as they all have their own unique properties and uses.
Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil has a lovely fresh smell. Use it in cleaning products or in a diffuser for the whole house to make it smell amazing.
Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea Tree is a great natural disinfectant and leaves behind a wonderfully clean smell. You can pop a few drops in a spray bottle with white vinegar to clean bathrooms and kitchens.
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender is such a useful essential oil to have at home and it also smells amazing. Like any floral essential oil, it will leave your home smelling amazing if you diffuse it.
Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint Essential oil can also be used in green cleaning products as well as in a diffuser. If you use it in a diffuser it really helps eleminate bad smells and leaves behind a fresh and invigotating scent.
It is also a natural insect repellant and can help you get rid of ants and other bugs like spiders! Just add a few drops to a spray bottle with water.
We hope all these amazing smell hacks have left your home smelling amazing!
Did we miss any of your favorite home hacks? We are always on the lookout for new home tips and advice so be sure to comment below.